Thursday, February 9, 2012

Geisha Thumbnails Continued

So, I got some feedback on my thumbnails, and it was suggested that they were too small to be useful as a compositional tool. The size that was suggested to me was the size of a post-it note. Luckily, my illustration sketchbook is about that size, so I did a few pages of quick gestural sketches.

Oddly enough, Blogspot is displaying my last drawing first, and my first drawing last. So this is where I wound up. I was thinking mostly about attitude and narrative. The creator of the character gave me more to work with in terms of her identity.

She's a women who was forced in to indentured servitude as a geisha because she had a terminal illness and her family couldn't afford to take care of itself. Her only friend, the head of the corporation that created her, is murdered and she is given a secret which will unravel that threat.

Now, I would have a tough time communicating the specifics of her story in a single image. Instead, I'm letting that primer guide the attitude that I give her.







No comments:

Post a Comment